Steven has been learning to read this year and I am amazed at how fast he is picking it up. He really enjoys reading. We started in September with Hooked on Phonics, which I really hesitated using because of the whole, "I learned to read with Hooked on Phonics" saying. But I do have to say it has really worked and I have liked it up until we hit the first grade. Now we do the lesson and when we get to reading the book it comes with it throws words and blends or ending they haven't taught. So I have decided to take a little break and just have him read some "real" books. After spring break we will start back up with the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading by Jessie Wise from The Well Trained Mind, just to give him more of a foundation.
Steven is so excited to read "real" books. Here is a couple of pictures of him reading his first "real" book, "Hop on Pop".

Then the next night he read "Ten Apples up on top".
2 comments:
Congrats to you both! What a fantastic achievement.
The team at Hooked on Phonics came across your blog and wanted to say how thrilled we are to hear that your family is enjoying our Learn to Read program.
We wish you continued success and look forward to hearing more reading success stories from you. If you are interested in sharing your Hooked on Phonics story with others, we would love to feature your story on our website. Please contact us at success@hop.com if you are interested.
Hooked on Phonics
Post a Comment