1:30am I hear the dogs going nuts so I get up to see what they're barking at. Then I hear peeping so I went to check on the chicks and this is what I found. The yellow chick must have just hatched, it was still a little wet and all wobbly. The black chick is only half way out.
Monday, February 16, 2009
The Chicks
It has been awhile since I posted since we know have chicks! We continued to get eggs and one of the hens decided she wanted to be a Mama. She sat and waited paitiently and now has 3 chicks! Oh, they are so cute! She has more eggs but I am not sure that they are going to hatch?? I went out this morning and one of the eggs had broken open that had no chick...can you say SMELLY!! Rotten egg is not what I want to smell first thing in the morning. YUCK!
Mama Hen is hiding the little chick!
Our first little chick!
After the first chick hatched, I decided to bring some eggs inside so we could watch them hatch. We had three that had started to peck there way out. Unfortunately, one died in the process. However, Abby thought is was facinating to open the egg after it passed and take a closer look. It is truly amazing how they can fit inside of the egg all scrunched up.
Abby and Bentley watching the chicks hatch!
Pecking their way out!

In the morning when I woke they were both hatched!

They are oh so tiny!
I had just finished cleaning the coop today and the chicks got up on their Mama after I put them back in. I thought it was pretty cute! The yellow chick is under Mama Hen so you can't see it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What a cool experience for you and your kids! I'm sad that the one died. I'll probably even have nightmares about being trapped inside something.
Post a Comment