Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patty's 5k


All last week was beautiful and sunny, not necessarily warm, but sunny! So I wake up Saturday morning to RAIN, I am suppose to run my 5K, I don't want to run in the rain. Anyway, I get up and take my shower, wake up the rest of the family, so they can cheer me on. Of course, the kids were grumpy and didn't want to get up to go stand around in the cold rain, but I made them! :) (I am such a good Mom)

We get to the Dock Street Grill about 7:45 and I check in. Did I mention it's raining and COLD! We decided to sit in the van and wait until the crowd starts to gather. I am now getting a little nervous and wondering what have I gotten myself into.

About 8:45 the crowd starts gathering so we get out and I get in the crowd and wait. Meanwhile some guy is at the microphone probably telling us what would be happening, but it was so muffled I don't think anyone understood him. We then all gather out in the street and the horn blows. I am towards the back of the crowd so I don't get in the way of all those diehard runner. The first stretch of the run was up hill...not really what I expected, it then leveled off. My goal for the race was to finish in 40 minutes or less, I wasn't to concerned about where I placed, but when I started passing people I felt better just knowing I wasn't going to be the dead last. I was able to jog the whole time which felt really good. There were two ladies speed walking, that I really wanted to pass,, but man they were walking fast. I thought okay I will pick up my speed at the end, well wouldn't you know it, they started to run, so I never was able to pass them.

I finished the race in 38:52 minutes and really had a good time. Such a good time I have already signed up for my next 5K for April.

Just before we headed outside to start the race.
I did it!!!!!

1 comment:

Britt said...

Yay, Cherise!!! Way to go. I must admit I'm a little misty reading this. I'm really proud of you.

By the way, I know what you mean about those power walkers. Man!