You see my Great Grandmother Katie use to make this for the holidays. My sister Deanna and I have made it a couple of time over the past few years, but it always seemed to be quite challenging. Grandma Katie’s way of making it was that you rolled the whole batch of dough (enough to make 4/5 regular loaves of bread) over the entire kitchen table and tried your best to spread it as thin as you possibly could without tearing it. Then you would spread the yummy nut filling across the whole kitchen table that had the dough on it and then do your best to roll it all up like you would cinnamon rolls, again without tearing it. As you can see this became an almost impossible task.
When my sister came to visit I showed her the recipe and she said yes, it seemed like the recipe, but Grandma Katie’s used ½ -n- ½ instead of milk. No this isn’t a lowfat kind of bread.
I decided to give it a try one day, and I was surprisingly amazed it wasn’t all that hard, when you don’t roll all the dough out at once. Now, why we didn’t try this earlier when attempting to make it with my sister I am not sure, maybe because we wanted to make it just like Grandma Katie? I ended up making 4 loaves and I must say they are quite tasty. I am going to make some more when a couple of days before Christmas so they will be fresh.

1 comment:
This is great! I love it!!
Post a Comment